This course focuses on the identification of the impact and legal obligations applicable in Spain and other member states as a consequence of the European SUP directive and circular economy policies. 4 HOURS COURSE
European policies aimed at the transformation towards a circular economy published since 2015 by EU have resulted in a series of action plans which in turn entail corresponding legal provisions and their derived obligations.
Currently, the 2015 European Circular Economy Action Plan - from which the Plastics and Packaging Waste Strategy were developed - has resulted in the amendment of the Packaging and Packaging Waste Directives, as well as the Waste Framework Directive, and the Waste Management Directives (landfills and waste transport).
In addition, as a result of the 2018 Plastics Strategy, the SUP (single-use plastics) Directive was published in 2019 and is integrated in Spain in the preliminary draft of the Waste Law, which establishes a tax on non-reusable plastic packaging of 0.45 €/kg. On the other hand, a tax on non-recyclable plastic (landfill destination) of €0.8/kg is envisaged, which Member States will have to pay from 2021 and which will finance the package of postcovid recovery measures.
Other member states have also developed specific national measures and furthermore changes and requirements will continue to evolve through the new European circular economy plan 2020 derived from the Green Pact 2019.
This course focuses on the identification of the impact and legal obligations applicable in Spain and other member states as a consequence of the European SUP directive and circular economy policies.
- Current regulatory framework: Directive 94/62/EC (852/2018) on packaging and packaging waste and its transposition to the main Member States.
- Management of packaging waste:
- Integrated Management System (IMS) for household packaging waste
- Deposit, Return and Refund System (DRS)
- Directive (EU) 2018/852 as an amendment to Directive 94/62/EC: new environmental requirements for recyclability, reusability and compostability. Future horizon 2030 [MC1].
- Package of new measures on the implementation of circular economy policies on packaging waste (specific measures for plastic packaging): SUP Directive (Directive (EU) 2019/904 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 5 July 2019) and European plastic taxes established by different member states and aspects specific to each autonomous community in Spain.
- European tax on non-recyclable plastic approved in the European Council Decision 2020/2053 of December 14, 2020.
The course will last 4 hours in online format