Optimising hotel laundry service
Traditionional hotel goes green
- Optimising a hotel laundry service led to multiple savings and benefits
- Measures aimed at achieving a green label for hotel services
The 210 room Hotel Hemus is one of the oldest in Sofia and has 210 rooms. The hotel has 85 employees and offers wheelchair access, a children's play area, breakfast buffet, room service, dry cleaning and laundry, restaurant, conference hall, a lobby bar, parking, and a business centre.
The last three months of the year are the busiest because of the many corporate events. The average guest stays between two and three days, with sightseeing and shopping the most common activities. The hotel's management carried out a cleaner production (CP) and corporate social responsibility (CSR) audit in order to make energy savings and at the same time qualify for a green hotel label.
The CP audit led to several measures including the replacement of old washing machines and an ironing press with more energy-efficient models. The CSR audit led to staff motivation schemes, better working conditions and modernisation of staff rooms, and the introduction of a management certification scheme.
Implementing these measures led to several tangible results: the CP measures alone save 150 MW per year and reduce CO2 emissions. While the CSR measures resulted in:
- Clear bonus systems based on individual motivation and better working conditions and atmospgere
- Better management practices and higher staff qualifications
- Increased social security benefits
- Higher quality of service and overall increased revenue for the hotel
Sustainable Tourism Programme, 'Hemus', www.serc.bg/index.php?t=17