Heat pumps and other measures bring huge savings to spa hotel
Refreshing energy efficiency moves
- Savings achieved in medium-sized spa hotel by implementing CSR measures
- Rethinking energy efficiency like this saves about € 12 000 every year
Spa Hotel Fairy in the Central Balkan Mountains is located in a picturesque river valley. Close to the hotel is a geothermal spring with a capacity of 3000 l/min and water temperature of 52 degrees centigrade.
The hotel has a sauna, steam bath, lakonium 'dry' room and a hydro-massage bath with Ozonator and two swimming mineral water swimming pools – one outdoor and one indoor.
The hotel engaged in far-reaching corporate social responsibility (CSR) and clean production (CP) actions which resulted in financial savings, improved operations, better staff performance, and improved service quality and safety conditions benefiting staff and guests alike.
- Collecting data on the consumption of basic resources
- Developing job descriptions and staff motivation and training schemes
- Information to the guests about the environmental policy
- Installing heat pumps (capacity of 30 kW)
- Using LED lighting in the common areas
- Adding covers for the swimming pools
These energy efficiency measures, including information and training schemes, resulted in about € 12 000 in savings a year for the hotel.
Sustainable Tourism Programme, Study case Hotel 'Feya': www.serc.bg/documents/155_Broshure_3_EN.pdf page 7