Fish manufacturer's no-waste approach
Not a single bone to waste...
- Food-processing company introduces ambitious zero food-waste programme in its fish production
- Company has also emphasised ecological packaging and managed to reduce plastic waste and carbon emissions in its procurement practices
Kalavapriikki Oy is a manufacturer of fish, meat, fruit and vegetable products. It is part of the Finnish Heino wholesale concern. Fish production has been the company’s core activity and it is recognised for its high-quality produce.
Some 2 000 tonnes of salmon and 200 tonnes of other fish species are prepared by Kalavapriikki annually. The logistics and packaging material needs reflect this high production output. The company has been actively seeking solutions to minimise its food waste and increase its sustainability and material efficiency.
Today, nothing of the fish is wasted. By-products such as heads, skin, bony meat, bones and fats are used to make animal feed and craft industry products, much of it for export markets.
Kalavapriikki has also invested in ecological (less plastics) packing and logistics solutions. Its innovative packaging reduces food waste and ensure longer-lasting products. The manufacturer is replacing membrane packing plastic with paper as much as possible and the it has also its own carton-packing machine. It has replaced Styrofoam boxes with more ecological corrugated fibre board, which is also water- and heat-resistant. This move has cut emissions from procurement-related logistics by 95 %. The carton boxes need much less space for storage and transportation.
- Manufacturer processes 2 000 tonnes of salmon and 200 tonnes of other fish species and uses all parts to avoid food waste
- Innovative packaging reduces food waste and helps the products last longer (a shelf life of up to 35 days)
- Replacing Styrofoam boxes with water- and heat-resistant carton boxes managed to cut procurement logistics emissions by 95 %
- Kalavapriikki has its own carton-packing machine which has slashed plastic consumption
Fish manufacturer won’t waste even a single bone – Packing and logistics solutions are also made as eco-friendly as possible, an example of Finnish companys material efficiency measures (2019): https://www.motiva.fi/ratkaisut/materiaalitehokkuus/materiaalitehokkuuden_sitoumukset/elintarvikealan_sitoumus/esimerkkeja_yritysten_toimenpiteista/kalavapriikki_-_kalanpalaakaan_ei_hukata_kalavapriikissa
Kalavapriikki factory, company's website, environmental responsibility (in Finnish): https://www.kalaonni.fi/ymparistovastuullisuus/