European Commission increases LIFE programme funding
The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding instrument for the environment and climate action. For the 2021–2027 period, the European Commission is increasing LIFE programme funding by almost 60%.
LIFE will also expand into four new sub-programmes:
- Nature and biodiversity
- Circular economy and quality of life
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Clean energy transition
The new programme will support the transition towards an energy-efficient, renewable energy-based, climate-neutral and resilient economy. It also aims to reduce market barriers that prevent the transition to sustainable energy. The sub-programme will work with the public sector, industry, non-profit organisations and consumer organisations.
Projects will focus on five key areas:
- Building a national, regional and local policy framework that supports the clean energy transition
- Accelerating technology roll-out, digitalisation, new services and business models
- Attracting private finance for sustainable energy projects
- Supporting local and regional investment projects
- Involving and empowering citizens in the clean energy transition
The EU has dedicated a budget of nearly €1 billion to LIFE from 2021 to 2027.
Find out more here.