EU Adaptation Strategy for Smart Cities
In 2013, the European Commission adopted a strategy on adaptation to climate change which was welcomed by the EU Member States. The strategy aims to make Europe more climate-resilient.
The EU Adaptation Strategy focuses on three key objectives:
- Promoting action by Member States: The Commission encourages all Member States to adopt comprehensive adaptation strategies and provides funding to help them build up their adaptation capacities and take action.
- 'Climate-proofing' action at EU level by further promoting adaptation in key vulnerable sectors such as agriculture, fisheries and cohesion policy, ensuring that Europe's infrastructure is resilient and promoting the use of insurance against natural and man-made disasters.
- Better informed decision-making by addressing gaps in knowledge about adaptation and further developing the European climate adaptation platform (Climate-ADAPT).
Adaptation strategies are needed at local, regional, national, EU and international level in order to anticipate the adverse effects of climate change and prevent or minimise the damage.
Such strategies often have an urban dimension, and cities play a major role in their implementation.
Adaptation is complementary to efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions in cities, which are covered by other topics such as energy transition in cities, urban mobility, circular economy in cities, and sustainable use of land and nature-based solutions in cities.
To support the transition to a climate-resilient EU, there are many funding and technical assistance opportunities:
- European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI)
- European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF)
- European Investment Project Portal
- Urban Innovative Actions (UIA)
- 'Marguerite' fund for energy, climate change and infrastructure
For more information and other funding opportunities, please visit the dedicated funding page.
Advice and technical assistance
Urbis is a new dedicated urban investment advisory platform within the European Investment Advisory Hub. It provides advisory support to urban authorities to facilitate, accelerate and unlock urban investment projects, programmes and platforms.
The Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions (JASPERS) advises cities and regions on strategic planning in a wide range of sectors and is free-of-charge for local authorities and promotors. It supports the preparation of projects in areas benefiting from EU funds to ensure they meet all of the necessary standards.
Missions in Horizon Europe: Climate-neutral and smart cities
The European research and innovation missions aim to deliver solutions to some of the greatest challenges facing our world. They are an integral part of the Horizon Europe framework programme beginning in 2021.
Find more information on climate adaptation and opportunities here.