Success story 1: Profit project:
In the early 00’s the concept of SportsFieldLabs was initiated from the S&T community. Since then SportFieldLabs have become an important part of the Sports&Technology (S&T) cluster of field labs, knowledge organisations and businesses. A SportFieldLab is a research and development location in a real-life setting where:
- Sportsmen and/or other citizens (children, adults, elderly) engage in sports and play activities.
- Businesses can install new product prototypes or production models in the field-lab where the end-users can use and test them as part of regular sports activity.
- Knowledge institutes use the field-lab to collect data on the end-user interaction with the products.
In 2010 S&T initiated the ProFit project (Interreg IVb (EFRD)-project, budget 6 M€, 2011-March 2015, www.fieldlabs.eu ) with the goal:
- to further develop the infrastructure of the SportFieldLab for sports and physical activity in Eindhoven (one of the 8 labs in the S&T cluster)
- to stimulate innovation and new business creation in the S&T cluster.
S&T is the lead partner of the ProFit project in which local public authorities and knowledge institutions in three nations participate. It addresses some of the major partners of the cluster: Fontys and TU/e as knowledge partners, Field lab Eindhoven on sports and Physical activity (InnoSportLab Sport en Beweeg!), various companies and start-ups.
The Profit project contributes to the strategic development of the S&T cluster infrastructure and organisation as it strengthens one of its major assets: the SportFieldLab. These labs are regarded a breeding places for innovations and business creation.
Impact/Contribution to the sustainable development of the cluster
The project has strengthened not only the lab infrastructure but also the collaboration within the cluster partners in the region. The networking effect of this project has grown beyond the project end. The end event of the Profit project in March 2015 will therefor also be the starting point of new cluster collaboration projects in the area of People Sports and Vitality.