Geoscience Ireland (GI) is a cluster of 40 companies, delivering collaborative expertise in water, minerals, environmental and infrastructure development to commercial clients in over 75 countries. The cluster is supported by two State Agencies: Geological Survey Ireland and Enterprise Ireland.
Operating under a cluster dynamic, GI was founded on a belief of shared effort, collaboration, innovation, combined resources and stakeholder support. The overarching aims of GI are to develop the Irish geoscience SME sector through:
- sharing knowledge and the networking effect,
- increasing Irelands ratio of project wins overseas through managed collaboration,
- investing in and delivering on R&D projects, and
- stimulating job growth and economic activity in the geoscience sector.
In order to deliver on these ambitions, GI provides systems of support to facilitate and develop the cluster including:
- hosting regular workshops where members share market and export knowledge,
- undertaking Market Visit Studies to identify overseas networks and clusters,
- facilitating interactive sessions for members to develop trust and to welcome new cluster members,
- deliberating on the common goal that Ireland is a centre of geoscience excellence,
- providing a forum for members to put forward ideas on the clusters future directions,
- identifying tender and project opportunities whereby GI Members can respond with a collaborative approach to winning business,
- marketing and branding, and
- a uniform approach to accessing European institutions and donor agencies.
This well-managed system of supports recognises the human factors involved in developing industry. Through careful management and support, the GI Member Companies have developed and continue to grow a trusting and open relationship with other cluster members. This network approach enables SMEs to grow and for the Irish geoscience sector to develop and become part of the global community.
Established - 01 September 2012
Staff in the management team - 1-5
1Number of start-ups among SME's
5Research Organisations, Universities, Technology Centers
0Number of civil society members
5Other Ecosystem Actors
Membership in Cluster Partnerships or initiatives
|Geo-Energy for the XXIst Century||