BIOPLAT is a sectorial and public-private coordination group leading by industry, consisted of all relevant stakeholders in biomass and bioeconomy in Spain.
BIOPLAT mainly aims at determining the conditions and at identifying and developing viable strategies for the promotion and sustainable commercial development of biomass in Spain. To accomplish this goal it is necessary to carry out a design of technological strategies for the settlement of guidelines which boost the sustainable development of biomass sources in accordance with national and EU energy and environmental targets.
BIOPLAT covers activities in the field of biomass in its broadest sense, in terms of biomass resources (all types of recoverable organic matter), transformation technologies and applications (bioenergy, bioproducts, biomaterials and biochemicals). BIOPLAT covers also aspects of sustainability and regulatory framework; and will carry out its activity in relation and collaboration with other related technology and innovation platforms, both national and European.
- To identify the R&D priorities of the Spanish biomass sector, including them in its position documents.
- To have an active involvement in the European Technology Platforms: ETIP-Bioenergy and ETIP-RHC, besides the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC), collaborating in all the activities carried out within them and including the Spanish positioning in all their relevant publications (SRIAs and so on).
- To act as a consultant agent for the Spanish official representatives in SET-Plan, and National Contact Points of the H2020 Program (Societal Challenges: II. Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine and maritime and inland water research, and the Bioeconomy; III. Secure, clean and efficient energy; V. Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials).
- To cooperate and advise the Spanish Ministries and Regional Governments about several R&D plans and initiatives (from both national and international), such as the Bioeconomy Strategy, EIP Smart Cities and EIP Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability, several ERANETs; etc.
- To continuously inform all the relevant stakeholders about Spanish, European and international R&D programmes, in order to increase Spanish participation and, thereby, enhancing Spanish creation of knowledge, i.e. moving forward in the learning curve of biomass and bioenergy technologies.
- To create synergies with other Technology and Innovation Platforms, Spanish Ministries and the European Commission to increase the R&D&I opportunities of the Spanish biomass sector.
- To disseminate its positioning, biomass and bioeconomy initiatives, programs and other relevant information through conferences, emails, its website and social networks (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn and blog), so biomass trends and innovations are acknowledged in Spain and also at international level.
All the BIOPLAT performances aim to show the added value which the Spanish bioeconomy sector is capable of providing, in the environmental sector (as it actively contributes to avoiding forest fires, GHG emissions and waste abandonment) and in the socioeconomic scope (for its ability to create and maintain jobs in the supply chain of biomass, in the rural areas, where it is more needed).
108Research Organisations, Universities, Technology Centers
47Other Ecosystem Actors